Bond repayment to co-tenant (Stat Dec)

When you replace another person in a share house, or take on someone else's lease, the bond is not paid out from the Rental Bond Board. You will often pay the outgoing tenant the bond directly, and sign a Change of Shared Tenancy form for NSW Fair Trading. This statutory declaration can protect both the outgoing and incoming tenants where the official form has not been used.

Copy and paste the template letter below or download a copy from the link above. Remember to substitute your details for the details contained in [square brackets].

Statutory Declaration




, do solemnly and sincerely declare that
[name of declarant]


I rent at [address of the premises].


I gave $[amount] to [name of former tenant], the former tenant of the above premises, for her/his share of the bond for the premises at [address].


I agree to indemnify the NSW Fair Trading against any claim that the original tenant may make against the bond.


I can be contacted on [phone number] (work) or [phone number] (home) if you would like further information.


and I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the provisions of the Oaths Act 1900.

Declared at:                                                                  on 

[place]                                                                                [date]


[signature of declarant]

in the presence of an authorised witness, who states:

I,                                                         , a ,

[name of authorised witness]      [qualification of authorised witness]

certify the following matters concerning the making of this statutory declaration by the person who made it: [* please cross out any text that does not apply]

  1. 1. *I saw the face of the person OR *I did not see the face of the person because the person was wearing a face covering, but I am satisfied that the person had a special justification for not removing the covering, and
  2. 2. *I have known the person for at least 12 months OR *I have confirmed the person’s identity using an identification document and the document I relied on was …………...………………………………….

[describe identification document relied on]


[signature of authorised witness] [date]