Ending tenancy due to offer of social housing

You can use this sample letter as a formal Notice of Termination when you need to move into social housing but you are still in a fixed term agreement. You must have a current offer of accommodation from a social housing provider. It must be served in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 – by mail, email (to an email address specified by the person for the service of documents of that kind), or in person. 

Copy and paste the template letter below or download a copy from the link above. Remember to substitute your details for the details contained in [square brackets].

[Your name and address]


[Landlord’s or agent’s name and address]

Dear …

Re: Termination of tenancy agreement at [your address] due to offer of social housing

I have been offered accommodation with a social housing provider and I am required to sign a residential tenancy agreement with them as soon as possible.

As required under section 100 of the Residential Tenancies Act 2010, I am writing to give you 14 days notice. I will be giving vacant possession of the above premises on [date].

I will be in contact with you closer to that date to can arrange a time when we can both inspect the premises, complete a condition report and I can return the keys to you.

Yours sincerely

[T Tenant]