This website has been redesigned. Why not check out the new look here:


Share housing agreement

PDF Download share housing agreement [PDF]

In 2011, changes were made to tenancy laws in NSW that affect people living in share housing.

If you rent part of a house or unit from another tenant – and they have a written tenancy agreement with the owner of the premises – then they are your head-tenant.

It is very important that you have a separate written agreement with your head-tenant. Without a written agreement, you will not have the protections of a tenant under NSW tenancy law.

If you are a head-tenant, having a separate written agreement means that the rules are clear and any disputes with other tenants can be resolved formally.

Note that a head-tenant needs written consent from their landlord to sub-let to another person. A landlord must not unreasonably refuse to give consent.

Secure your tenancy

Step 1 – Write up your own agreement. (Dowload a sample agreement in PDF.)

Step 2 – Sign the agreement and give it to your head-tenant to sign. Keep a copy for yourself.

Contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service if you need further advice.


This website is a publication of the Tenants' Union of NSW and the network of Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services throughout New South Wales.

PRIVACY  |  LEGALS  |  © Tenants' Union of NSW

Logos of Tenants' Union of NSW, Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services and Aboriginal Tenants Services