Contact Hunter Tenants' Advice and Advocacy Service

Published on 16/03/2020

What we do

Hunter Tenants' Advice and Advocacy Service provides free telephone advice, information, advocacy, and (where appropriate) representation at the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

Who we can assist

We can assist people who are:

  • renting privately through a landlord or Real Estate Agent,
  • tenants in Public and Community housing,
  • tenants renting Caravan Parks,
  • homeowners in Land Lease Communities, and
  • residents of Boarding Houses,

and you live in Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens, Maitland, Cessnock, Singleton, Upper Hunter, Muswellbrook or the Great Lakes areas of Mid Coast Local Government Area.

How to contact us

Access is via the telephone advice line on 4969 7666 or freecall 1800 654 504. If you can't get through during advice hours, please keep trying. You can leave a message outside advice hours and we will endeavour to give you a call back within 24 hours.

Threat of eviction

If you have an Order of the Tribunal, a Notice of Termination or are being threatened with eviction please fill in the contact form here: